Wednesday, August 19, 2009

training

We have started the potty training. Robin wanted to do the infant potty training (elimination communication) but were not on the ball long enough and quit trying. Now that Riley is back in cloth diapers, he is not happy about being wet. After having few successes over the last week, I noticed Riley knocking on the bathroom door while Robin was making dinner.

"No, you can't play in there," I said.
He got indignant and knocked and yelled.
"No, you can't go in," I repeated.
"Where is he trying to get into," asked Robin from the kitchen.
"Oh, the bathroom, maybe he is trying to tell us something," I replied.

We took off his cloth diaper and started to read a book and I could hear a distinct tinkling coming from the toilet.

Robin came in and we all celebrated with high fives. Keys to this success, cuing through elimination communication and swapping to training pants and cloth diapers so he can feel the wetness. Now we realize that he is not done, but at least we know he is ready. Now we wait for the step back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH, my little Riley-man :)!!! Such a big boy!!!
Tell Daddy that he had too much fun with the key words under your blog! (And, tell him thanks for taking the time to help Grandma with her computer mess).

Love to all of you- Grandma

Carla said...

wow! that is really impressive! keep us posted on how things are going with it.

Poks said...

Scott sure was quick to post that. I don't think he's gone to the bathroom on the potty since. We do have him in cloth diapers though and are working on "cuing" him when he does urinate or poop (if we notice that's what he's doing). I'm not in a rush to potty train, but certainly willing to see if he can catch on. Guess we'll see.