Scott and I celebrated our 10th anniversary on the 5th, and Riley turned 18 months on the 14th. It's been a good month, an awesome 18 months, and an amazing 10 years. I stop and thank the Lord for "my boys" everyday - seriously. They are both huge blessings and reminders to me of the goodness of God and proof that God was definitely listening to my prayers growing up.
Last Friday, I took Riley in for his 18-month appointment. He's now 32 inches (50th percentile), 24lbs and 5oz (40th percentile)...so, he's pretty average...except for his head. He's got a big one! It's 19.5 inches which is in the 90th percentile. Perhaps that's why he has already learned how to mock his parents, but more on that in a minute.
Last month, Riley learned how to cross his fingers all by himself. He can only do it on his left hand. Bebe taught him how to cross his toes, and he likes to try to do that now. He's also learned how to pull doors shut. He pulls on the door itself until he's close to shutting it and then he grabs the doorknob to finish the job. If he doesn't get it just right, he will push it back open and start pulling it again.
Over the last month or so, these are a few of the words he's started saying: "mop" for "mouth," "thank you," "all done," "uh uh" for "uh oh," "i-on" is "lion," "dih dir" is Big Bird, "glasses" and "dog." He loves making sounds to imitate bears, tigers, lions and dogs.
Okay, now, to our little mocker. Yesterday, I was working on a quick sewing project. I really should have put my sewing machine up when he woke from his nap, but I thought I was "close" to finishing. So, I just tried to encourage him to play away from Mama. However, I or Scott were saying "no, no, no" quite often as he tried to touch the machine, play with the cord, snatch my scissors or grab the pin cushion. I kept thinking I was almost done, but it took longer than I thought. He started playing by himself very well for a while, but then came up to me and grabbed the cord. I looked at him about to say, "no," but before I could, he gave me a smart look and said in a VERY mocking tone, "Neh! Neh! Neh!" I think he even tilted his head with each "Neh." Then he smirked at me. My jaw dropped, as did Scott's. I know we really tried his patience more than we should have, but woah!! I wouldn't have thought that children learn to mock at one and a half. Self taught, too...as far as I know or recognize. Today, I haven't said "No" nearly as much, but twice he mocked me again. "Neh"...*sigh*
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Riley- You really shouldn't anger mama and daddy by mocking them !!!(Although once again, Grandma wishes she could have been there to see that).
Daddy told me you got another haircut and Gramps and I can hardly wait to fly down to see it :).
Love you, Grandma
LOL! Natalie has been doing that too. She usually says, "no, no" before we even get a chance.
Post a Comment