Sunday, February 8, 2009

Warning, don't read if you have a weak stomach

I still need to do my "updates" post and will hopefully get to that soon. This weekend, we decided to get out and go to Destin. Scott wanted to check out the Bass Pro Shop there. It was pretty neat. Compared to what people have told us about Bass Pro Shops, this one was kind of small. They did have the fish pond though with some big fish, including three tuna. Riley really enjoyed watching the tuna swim by the glass. It was fun to show him that. Right next to the Bass Pro Shop, there was a fish place that we thought would be good. When we saw the fish tacos were $15, we decided that was not the place for us, so we ate a Johnny Rockets. I had brought lunch along for Riley, but he didn't seem to want any of it. In fact, he hadn't eaten a lot of his breakfast that morning either. I figured he'd let me know if he was hungry though. At this place where we were (Destin Commons), there was a fountain area. One of those where there are lots of water spouts on the ground and they go in different patterns. Riley LOVED that! He laughed and laughed and laughed. We left Destin Commons and headed to the Destin Target to pick up a couple of things. We thought about stopping at the beach just for Riley to see the sand and the water and the gulls, but he was so tired that we decided just to let him nap. I sat in the front seat with Scott, because Riley won't nap if I'm sitting next to him. He was asleep right after we left Destin. We headed up through Fort Walton Beach back towards Crestview. In north Fort Walton Beach, we heard this loud gushing sound coming from the back seat. Scott pulled over as soon as he could. Riley was so sick. He just kept vomiting and vomiting and was choking on the fluid. It was pretty scary for me!! I tried to be as calm as possible though. I tell you what, love is holding someone letting them get sick all over you and not even caring one bit about the smell or the grossness (is that word?) of it. We stayed there for a while, letting him get some fresh air. Scott was trying to wipe up as much as he could with what we had. Riley's car seat was pretty soaked though. We changed his clothes and got back on the road. Riley fell back asleep with me sitting next to him. He looked so pale and pitiful!! He was just exhausted from that ordeal too, I'm sure. So, we got through Shalimar and were driving up through the base (the main road goes right through the middle of Eglin Air Force Base). All the sudden in his sleep, he started vomiting again. That road is kind of dangerous, but he was choking on the fluid and struggling to sit up, so we had to stop. We gave him some air again and tried to get back on the road as soon as possible. He fell asleep again and stayed asleep for over an hour after we got home even. We just brought him in his car seat inside. I hated to leave him sitting in all of that, but we figured he really needed his rest. It also gave me a chance to look up "What do I do?" and Scott went to the store to get some Pedialyte. The rest of the day, he was pretty pale. We tried to keep him as calm as possible - gave him a calm bath when he woke up, read books to him, played calming music, but it's hard to keep him down. He will be calm for the bath and books, but then he wants to go, go, go. We did our best. Scott started feeling a little sick, so he took a nap and that helped. We were able to get Riley to sleep a little early. He woke up a few times (as normal). Then at 4:00, he got really restless and was trying to move around a lot and was in a super good mood. Well, he got sick again. It was just a huge mess. So, Scott and I are up. I'm taking care of Riley while Scott cleans up. It got on our sheets, covers, a little on the carpet and all over the kitchen floor since I quickly moved there. Once his stomach quit contracting, he was all smiles and wanting to play. Scott and I were exhausted. We gave Riley another bath, and I took one too again. That was my 3rd time bath/shower in 24 hours. Thankfully, he did finally fall asleep around 5:00. He woke at 6:00 which is pretty normal for him, but his wonderful Dada got him back to sleep and we were able to rest until 7:00. We are taking things easy today and trying to give him small meals and making sure he doesn't overfill with milk. He's in a pretty good mood, but he is still pretty pale and had some diarrhea late this morning. A cold is one thing, but getting sick like this just makes me so nervous. I have to remind myself to remain calm and not get upset so that he will be able to calm faster.

On a positive note, Friday, Riley took an hour and a half nap and then an hour nap. That's the first time he's taken two naps that long on the same day. Until recently, his naps were 30, maybe 45, minutes. I've been reading "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" and used her tips about napping and they've worked great! I'm not totally finished with the night sleeping ideas, but I'm hoping they will help too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, poor little thing! Interesting that we just heard via the news that flu season is just about to get started (I would have thought that we were already in it). You're doing all the right things :).

He'll be better by tomorrow I bet.

Love you all- Me

Jamesha said...

Oh my goodness, Robin! Glad to hear little Riley is coming around...