To me, Riley is a genius. I see all of the things that he is learning (a huge list that Robin has to post on this blog, but hasn't yet because we haven't totally settled in Florida) and marvel. Tonight, Riley did something that made me swell with pride (again, I won't take the fun from Robin, as she wants to blog about all this stuff). I then thought that maybe I might be blowing his advanced intelligence out of proportion as parents have the tendency to do. We all roll our eyes when hearing a parent nominating their kid for a gold in the Developmental Olympics in everyday conversation. In thinking that, I thought of a time long ago in my own life.
I remember a few things back in the first grade. One of the most vivid memories was my first day in my "reading group." The teacher would separate us into groups and spend time in each group having us read aloud stories from a special book. It doesn't take long for some kids notice that none of the groups read stories out of the same book. When one kid receives this revelation, the news spreads like wild fire that there are levels and that means smart groups and dumb groups. By the time my group was called, the news had already broken. I know at the time I thought I was hot stuff, so I confidently pulled up a chair next to the teacher, waiting for my turn to shine. As we began reading, we made our way around the circle until it was Becky's turn. The lines that she was to read started off with the character knocking at the door. Becky said "Ka-nock Ka-nock Ka-nock." All of the kids in the group starting laughing except me. I knew then and there that I was in the group that they only gave the rounded scissors to, the paste eaters. Over the years I had a few theories as to why I was in that group, the old bag had it in for me, I was actually a smart kid mentor for the dummies, and on and on. The truth is, sometimes you are on top, and other times in your life you aren't. So what if Riley is or isn't the smartest 10 month old I have ever seen. I turned out okay and so will he.
-scott
Friday, January 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Great story Scott...You really are a very good writer. Who knows maybe one day you will have a few books out there.
And as your aunt I think you are ON TOP!!!
And Robin WOW what a day you and Scott had with little Riley. It was just so hard to see the little ones so sick. I hope he is on the mends and back to his perky self. You and Scott are both AWESOME parents and Riley is very blessed!
Love,
Aunt Berni
Post a Comment