Friday, June 13, 2008

Cat's in the craddle

A few things about Riley:

Riley has always had a very strong neck, I know it is weird, but that is a comment that we get a lot.

"Look at that baby! His head is up and he is just looking around."

This is cute, but it has its drawbacks. Lately, Riley has not wanted to take naps. We still swaddle him because it is the only way he ever gets to sleep. He does okay if he works his arms out in his sleep, but if his feet get free, he wakes up MAD! Even with the swaddle, he doesn't go down without a fight. He is completely tied up while you hold him in the dark and all of a sudden, he uses his head to push yours around. Seriously, it is all I can do to keep his neck muscles from pushing my big head around. He is going to be stubborn like his uncle Troy.

Riley has the cutest voice and he loves to talk, like his cousin Kaylee, only his words are grunts. He has a few words like "Rare!," "Mah," and "Ahhrahrah!" or just a quiet little "Rrrr." Sometimes it is sweet and gentle, but it is mostly protests. I find my self making him mad, just to listen to him scold me. He seems to like his R's. His favorite thing is when someone says "RRRRRiley" in a deep voice. That is a guaranteed smile and maybe even a laugh.

Tomorrow, Riley turns three months and Sunday is Father's day. Up to this last few weeks I have been very active in his care. This week I have had to make two revisions on my thesis. This translates to 12 hour work days all week. Robin is definitely feeling the pinch. Yesterday I heard her singing a few verses of cat's in the cradle to him in the other room. So much for father of the year.

-Scott

Update from Mom: Yesterday, Riley weighed 15lb, 1.5oz. He's got some seriously big feet too. Several of the mothers have made comments about that over the weeks. Riley started grabbing my hair pretty early on. He's doing this more and more. It's like he anticipates when I'm going to put him down or hand him off. He'll just grab on. He also does this if he's been fussing for me to hold him. As soon as I get him, he shoves both hands in my hair and holds tight. I used to think it was just his reflex, but he has outgrown that reflex for a while now. I even try to put my hair up, but he will find the few loose strands or will pull some of my hair out of the pony tail. It hurts sometimes, but I still think it's pretty sweet. I just handed him off to Daddy a minute ago. As I was handing him over, I was working my hair out of his right hand. As soon as I got it free, he grabbed hair with his left hand.

1 comment:

Poks said...

Just a comment on Scott's post. Scott is an amazing father. He takes great care of Riley, and Riley just thinks his daddy is the funniest person alive. His dad plays lots of games with him, and he knows they're "daddy games," because he won't laugh if mom tries to play the same games. Mom has to come up with her own games and songs. Daddy gets consistent BIG smiles with games and songs (unless Riley is sleepy, not feeling well or hungry). He will smile most of the time mom plays with him, but not always as big and his biggest smiles for mom are in quieter moments like when he's peaking at me while he's trying to fall asleep. It's neat to see the different relationship he has with each of us. In the mornings after he's eaten or pooped, it's so cute to see Riley look around for his daddy to play with him. If we are in the bedroom, he will watch the door until his daddy comes in. Then he gets a big smile on his face. His smiles are getting cuter and cuter. Now he likes to stick his tongue out between his gums while he smiles. It's adorable!